Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A gift box for my Mom....

Mom if you are reading this...stop right here, or you will spoil your surprise!  ;)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Ok....is she gone!??!?!  LOL!

As you all know I am guest designer on Christmas with the Cricut blog this week, along with the ultra talented Monique (see her fabulous creations here).

Today is the day that the girls on CWTC post a gift packaging project for us all to drool over and make us want a million crafty things we never knew we wanted.  Right!?!?!  If that alone is not a good enough reason for you to visit....what if I told you they are giving away tons of FREE stuff this week!?!?  Interested now??  Just leave a comment on their posts for this week and make sure you are a follower of their blog.  Just that easy. 

On more thing I am having a huge sale this week to celebrate my week as guest designer.  25% off your entire Stampin' Up order!!  Wow...that is HUGE....I know!  It's better than what us demos get!!  Just e-mail me your order ferg@new.rr.com (plus you can combine my sale with Stampin' Ups huge sale...how awesome is that!?!?)

Let's get to the goodies....



 

 

Now for the details.....



Here is what the box looked like before I started.  I bought at Hobby Lobby.

I used Stampin' Up Chocolate Chip craft ink to stain the wood, and Tim Holtz distressing ink in walnut to bring out the wood grain.



Next I traced the lid on to the back side of my paper (SEI Christmas Mint collection)
cut it out and glued it down with a coat of Mod Podge.




Then I used my Basic Grey file to file away the excess paper around the edges of the lid.

Next I measured the sides of the box and cut pieces to fit, and attached all four sides with a coat of Mod Podge.  (I also removed all the hardware before attaching paper)  I also applied a coat of mod podge to the top of all the paper.  This will protect the paper for years to come.   While that dried I created the poinsettia for the top of the box  :)




I cut out 11 poinsettias from the Winter Woodland cricut cartridge.  They started at 1" and each one increased in size by 1/2".  The largest poinsettia is 6" (the leaves are from the 6" poinsettia)


I used these embossing folders to emboss the flowers (oops I forgot one) .  Then used Tim Holtz distressing ink in walnut to bring out the texture in each of the flowers.  (Can you tell I love this ink pad??)


Starting with the largest flower I began layering the flowers using Stampin' Up dimensionals (the best dimensionals in the WORLD!!)  and just kept layering. 



I covered 3 small buttons with versamark ink and sprinkled with gold tinsel embossing powder.  Then added a dusting of champagne shimmer paint from SU! to the buttons and the edges of the flowers.

Lastly I tied red stitched ribbon from Bazzill around the lid of the box for a finishing touch.  

Tomorrow is scrapbook page layout day...and I have TWO 2 page layouts to share with you!!!

Hope you like what I shared today, and stop back in tomorrow.  





42 comments:

gale

Wow this is amazing and gorgeous. I bet your mom will love it!!

Monique Griffith

Nice work, Mandy - it's absolutely gorgeous! What a lucky mom you have. :)

Shirley

Mandy,

Beautiful....I really like the layers of the poinsettia. A wonderful gift.

Unknown

Very pretty.Your mom will love it!

Christina Thomas

Wow this is gorgeous! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
PS
Have fun shopping, I'll race you to M's.
Christina

Mom2Fiveplus3

Beautiful. I love the poinsettia.

Peg

Mandy, Love the Poinsettia, beautiful box! Your mother will love it!

Ryansmaama

This is beautiful. Anyone would be honored to receive this as a gift.--Ryansmaama
gkburrow@cmaaccess.com

icraft2create.com

I am loving that poinsettia! Your box is gorgeous!! Your mom will love it!

Brens Designs

Truly beautiful! Love how you did the poinsettia... gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Helen

That is simply stunning!

Becky Moore

The box is terrific and I love the layered poinsettia. TFS and Happy
Thanksgiving!

Marlene W

cooollll...now i have to make a trip to the craft store to try one of these lol.....thank you so much for sharing

Unknown

Mandy!!! I love this box! It is absolutely beautiful!

bevb

WOW love the finished box and the poinsettia is awesome. Will have to give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful crafts with directions.

MyAuntKath

What a great peoject! Thanks! Kathie

Phyllis

Your gift box is just amazing! I know your mom will love it, because I know my mom would! Did you put anything on the paper poinsetta to protect it and make it last?

Jean Saporito

I just love your box. You did a great job decorating it.

sanadon

Wow! This is beautiful! I love the pointsettia. It makes me want to turn off this computer and make one. (Box and all) :) Thanks for sharing this with us.
Sylvia

Jessica

Oh wow Mandy, I sure hope your mom stopped reading! It will be a lovely surprise for her. TFS with us, and Happy Thanksgiving!

janst

Wow, this is delightful, that's another fix for the day. TFS

Anonymous

What a lovely gift!!! I know your Mom will treasure it! Thank you so much again for all your hard work this week! Your talent is amazing!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa Sturgill
LisaRN499@aol.com

TERIBERI'S CREATIONS

AWESOME!!! Love all the different embossing on the flowers....you ROCKED this challenge!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOUR FAMLIY!!

Many blessings always....
Hugs, T

Crooked Scrapper

What a beautiful gift. Your mom will love it.

Kristie Maynard

Gorgeous!!!!!

Susan

Mandy,
Simply beautiful! Great directions!! Your Mom will be thrilled!
Susan

mary

Gorgeous. Love it.

Anonymous

Beautiful box. And I LOVE the poinsettia! I am going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow!
Carrie

Sharon

Awesome! This is most beautiful! Your Mom should love love this box that you made for her! Fantastic!!! :)

lavendarrose29

This a really great project.

chignon

I love all the layers of the poinsettia. And I agree about the dimensionals too!

Anonymous

That poinsettia is amazing. I have got to scraplift that idea. I always wanted a box like that, now I know how to do it and make it pretty or at least not hitious. You are a very inspiring crafter. Your blog not only inspires me but others as well. MERCI BEAUCOUP!
mississchic@yahoo.com

TxLonestarAngel

Wonderful box Mandy, I'm sure your mother will love it!

XX
Stephanie

dianne

Beautiful box and Gorgeous flower. Your Mom will love it. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thanksgiving.

Ladybug

Beautiful box, Mandy. I'm sure your mom will love it! TFS! :-)

Unknown

I love your idea. Your mom will love it. I can't wait everyday to see what is new for the day. I get so excited because I'm new to the Cricut. I just need to get me more cartridges! Have a great Thanksgiving.

Smacki's Place

you just blow me away with your ideas, thank you for helping me look good.

angel2be

Great idea love poinsettia's Layering is great.

Jean Saporito

This is amazing. I especially love the poinsettia. Have a great weekend.

maureen

wow, this is beautiful -- i just love it! I just bought Winter Woodlands and ordered a bunch of Cuttlebug folders so I can try this now! Thanks for sharing.

Live Love and Scrap

WOW WOW WOW!!! AMAZING JOB!!!

Angelica Suarez

Wow...so I have no clue how I didn't find your BLOG til now, but I am just lovin' your projects! You are so very talented. This box is a treasure for sure. Love how you layered the poinsettia! I want to try something like this for this years' Christmas gifts. Last year I decorated Mason jars with my recipients favorite candy!